North Devon Wedding Photographer Michael Wells | About

Hi, I’m Mike, a wedding photographer for over 10 years. I’m a firm believer in images that are timeless. It’s important for me to create images that my clients will love in 5, 10, 20 years. My inspiration comes from my surroundings, my clients and their relationships with one another.  I create photo stories, a documentation of your special day.  The exception to that is when it comes to the “posed portrait” part of a wedding day, if you’re worried about being awkward or shy in front of the camera yet you still want a documentary style photographer then you’ve found yourself in the right place.  My approach is to provide gentle direction while evoking real emotions, just have fun!

I have spent my working life “Front of House” and love to work with my clients on their wedding day. I wasn’t always a photographer, I have worked as a Royal Butler and a Faliraki Barman!


Q: How long have you been a wedding photographer?

A: I started my business in 2005 with my trusty Fuji S3 Pro, it now sits in a cabinet along with my collection of Vintage cameras.

Q: How would you describe your style?

A: Terms like documentary and traditional get thrown around but I'd say I'm a Photojournalist, around 90% of the day is purely candid with the other 10% being the family formals and Bride & Groom portraits. I love to use creative lighting and create something different for each client.

Q: How many weddings do you shoot per year?

A: I shoot a maximum 25 weddings per year.

Q: What’s the most important thing you need from your client?

A: I need my client’s to want to get great photos.  Whether it’s brainstorming an amazing photo location together or having to convince Mum that you’re going to leave your reception for 15 minutes for spectacular sunset photos. I need my clients to be dedicated to helping me make an amazing image. I rely on people’s genuine emotions, if your emotions show that you’d rather be elsewhere then perhaps a documentary style photographer isn’t ideal for you.

Q: Is there a key piece of advice you wish you could give to any Bride or Groom out there?

A: Location matters when it comes to your photos.  Large locations with plenty of natural light are a photographer’s dream!  Many of the images that you fall in love with on my website and on other wedding blogs are taken in natural light conditions, but I’m more than comfortable with artificial lighting (flash). Planning your wedding day with light in mind would be ideal for every couple but I know that its not always possible.

You can see what I was showing Bex, Millie & Nicki at the top of this page in my portfolio, can you spot it?


Good luck with all of your plans and I look forward to hearing about your big day :)